Vulnerability analysis, also known as vulnerability assessment, is a process that defines, identifies, and classifies the security holes (vulnerabilities) in a computer, network, or communications infrastructure. In addition, vulnerability analysis can forecast the effectiveness of proposed countermeasures and evaluate their actual effectiveness after they are put into use.
Vulnerability analysis consists of several steps:
- Defining and classifying network or system resources
- Assigning relative levels of importance to the resources
- Identifying potential threats to each resource
- Developing a strategy to deal with the most serious potential problems first
- Defining and implementing ways to minimize the consequences if an attack occurs.
If security holes are found as a result of vulnerability analysis, a vulnerability disclosure may be required.
For more information please email email@example.com.